What is a material flow diagram?
Material flow diagrams are used to display the material flows of a process. These are visualized by so-called Sankey diagrams. They allow us to understand the flow of a process by looking at a diagram and to determine where any stumbling blocks might lie. They are useful for planning new processes as well as improving existing systems.
For example, a material flow diagram can be used to find out if there may be problems in an existing system that have not yet been discovered. Material flow diagrams are an important aid in planning and implementing projects. They show which materials are necessary to achieve the goals and what priority each component has.
What is a Sankey diagram?
What advantages do Sankey diagrams have?
- Sankey diagrams can be used to graphically illustrate complex relationships.
- They enable holistic and sustainable planning.
- Resources can be identified and expenses reduced.
- A Sankey diagram is a visual indication of relationships between at least two data sources. For example, these relationships can represent cause and effect, or cost and benefits.
The following example shows a Sankey diagram for optimized planning of logistics processes and transport routes.
Ipolog can be used, for example, in transportation planning. Tugger trains and means of transport can be planned automatically and necessary resources determined, thus saving costs for transport processes.
What are the disadvantages of Sankey diagrams?
- Creating them can be very time-intensive and complicated.
- Sankey diagrams can also be very confusing and difficult for the viewer to understand.
- At least two data sources are required to create a Sankey diagram. This is a major drawback if you are trying to represent a single data source.
- Sankey diagrams are not suitable for visualizing minute details.
Digital solution for material flow planning and analysis with ipolog
We offer a digital solution for material flow planning and material flow analysis with our ipolog software.
The software enables the 3D simulation of process steps and 2D representation of the material flow by e.g. Sankey diagrams. Material flow planning is a prerequisite for comprehensive and sustainable logistics planning and factory planning.
You may also be interested in
Material Flow Planning
Easily find and solve bottlenecks, optimize material flows and ensure an efficient supply.
Find out how you can create the ideal conditions to produce your product portfolio with quantities and variants as efficiently as possible.
Optimize the resources required for a given production program to keep production running with low investment and operational costs.
Free Webinars - Hot News - Great Events